Juvenile drug charges are given in order to help troubled youths recover from mistakes they have made. This type of charge is very different from adult drug charges, which are meant to punish a criminal offender but the penalties are still severe.
Juvenile Drug Crime Statistics
Drug crimes are very prevalent among youths today. Marijuana being one of the leading drugs seen in the youth population. In fact, 92% of arrested juveniles who test positive for drugs, test positive for marijuana and 14.4% test positive for cocaine. There are shocking statistics comparing juveniles who have been arrested to those who have not been arrested.
Children Who Have Been Arrested in the Past Year Are:
- More than 3.5 times likelier to have used marijuana
- 3 times likelier to have used prescription drugs for recreational purposes
- More than 7 times likelier to have used Ecstasy
- More than 9 times likelier to have used cocaine
- More than 20 times likelier to have used heroin
For legal representation for juvenile drug crimes in Olathe, contact our firm today.
The rate of juvenile drug crimes is increasing for both females and males. In a five year study regarding the juvenile justice systems, out of 2.4 million juvenile arrests, 19 million involved substance abuse. Of those 19 million, only 68,600 received substance abuse treatment.
These Arrests Can Result From Several Different Types of Juvenile Drug Crimes, All Holding Tough Punishments:
- Possession of drugs: if any amount of drug is found on their person, in their vehicle, in their locker, or in their personal bag.
- Selling of drugs: if they are arrested for selling drugs they can be incarcerated.
- Transportation of drugs: the moving of drugs for sale, this charge can have severe penalties because it is meant to punish drug dealers.
- Intent to distribute drugs: when the amount of drugs found on their person is more than one person can reasonably use by himself or herself.
- Cultivation of drugs: when evidence such as marijuana leaves or equipment to grow drugs is found the defendant can be charged for cultivating marijuana or other drugs which is illegal.
How Are Juvenile Drug Crimes Sentenced?
Juveniles are punished with rehabilitative measures as consequences for their actions, rather than being sentenced in prison. The state is able to hold juveniles accountable for their behavior in order to allow them to live a more responsible life in the future. If the rehabilitative measures fail, however, the juvenile offender can be sentenced to a juvenile correctional facility. While a child is not legally eligible to receive a conviction in a Kansas court, an adjudication for a crime may stay on a child's permanent criminal record for the rest of their life.
There are even times when District Attorneys change a child to adult status if they are an older child and then they are able to prosecute them with an Extended Jurisdiction Juvenile Prosecution (EJJP). The EJJP allows the court to give a child two sentences: one as a juvenile and one as an adult. If the violation is considered substantial in court, the adult sentence can be invoked, leading to prison time.
Providing Legal Representation for Juvenile Drug Charges in Olathe
There is a lot at stake when it comes to juvenile drug crimes; juvenile adjudication can stay on your child's record for life. You need to take action right away to ensure that your child has the best opportunity of maintaining a clean criminal record. With help from our Olathe juvenile crime lawyer, your child might be able to stay out of juvenile hall and take part in different community service programs instead.
Contact Garretson & Toth, LLC at (913) 971-0296 for a free consultation if your child has been arrested for a drug crime in Kansas. We have 60 years of combined experience aggressively defending our clients and enforcing their rights, help us help you by calling today!
“Tyler was able to achieve the near impossible.”
“Scott's legal skills & finesse, courtroom experience, and commitment to this case were critical.”
“Because of you we have our son back with us, in our lives, every day, to touch, hug and converse with.”
“Your professionalism and compassion were outstanding.”
“I think you did a great job of making certain that the jurors kept their eye on the facts.”
Aggressively Defending Our Clients for Over 60 Years
We Provide a Unique and Specialized Experience for Each Client Facing Criminal Charges
Our Firm Provides a Confidential Free Case Consultations
We Are Accessible to Our Clients and Will Return All Calls the Same Day
Our Team Is Committed to Obtaining the Best Possible Outcome for Our Clients
We Are Former Prosecutors, Armed With Invaluable Insights