Let Our Olathe Criminal Defense Lawyers Fight for You
Take the First Step
If you or a loved one has recently been arrested for a criminal offense, you have come to the right place. As one of Johnson County’s premier criminal defense firms, Garretson & Toth, LLC is here to aggressively represent those facing criminal charges including drug crimes, DUI, theft crimes, sex crimes, federal crimes, violent crimes, domestic violence crimes, and more. Experienced, knowledgeable, and committed to the needs of our clients, our highly regarded legal team of attorneys will fight for your freedom and defend your rights.
Olathe Attorneys with 60+ Years of Combined Experience
With 60 years of combined legal practice, our legal team has the tools and sharply honed legal skills to handle your case. When you work with us, you will be represented by a founding partner of Garretson & Toth, LLC.
Offering Free Consultations
We do not pass down our clients to an inexperienced associate. We also never charge a fee for case consultations, so you have nothing to lose by bringing your case to the attention of our lawyers for criminal defense in Olathe, Merriam, Lenexa, Leawood, Overland Park, and beyond.
Skilled Negotiators &
Our criminal attorneys in Olathe have aggressively tried 100+ cases in both district and federal courts. We are not just “plea lawyers”, but we will fight for the best result for a client even if that means going to trial. Our clients can have full confidence that they will receive strong and effective representation in court before a trial by jury. If a client’s case does result in a plea, it is only after extensive negotiation.
If you have been charged with a crime, don't hesitate to trust our Olathe criminal defense attorneys for your legal representation.
What Does A Criminal Defense Attorney Do?
A criminal defense attorney is a lawyer who specializes in representing individuals or organizations charged with criminal offenses. Their primary role is to advocate for their clients and protect their rights throughout the criminal justice process. Here are some of the key responsibilities and actions that a criminal defense attorney may take on behalf of their clients:
- Legal advice: A defense attorney advises their clients on their legal rights, potential consequences of the charges they face, and the best course of action to take in their defense.
- Case analysis: The attorney reviews the evidence against their client, investigates the circumstances of the alleged crime, and identifies legal issues that may impact the case.
- Defense strategy: Based on their analysis of the case, the attorney develops a defense strategy tailored to the specific circumstances of their client's case. This strategy may involve challenging the evidence, presenting witnesses, negotiating with prosecutors, or preparing for trial.
- Negotiation with prosecutors: In many cases, defense attorneys engage in negotiations with prosecutors to reach a plea bargain or settlement that is favorable to their client. This may involve reducing charges, obtaining a lighter sentence, or securing alternative sentencing options.
- Court representation: If the case goes to trial, the defense attorney represents their client in court proceedings. This includes presenting evidence, cross-examining witnesses, making legal arguments, and advocating for their client's innocence or for mitigating circumstances.
- Post-trial advocacy: If their client is convicted, the defense attorney may continue to advocate on their behalf during sentencing, seeking the most favorable outcome possible.
Throughout the entire process, a criminal defense attorney works to protect their client's rights, ensure fair treatment under the law, and achieve the best possible outcome given the circumstances of the case.
Tyler's practice is limited almost exclusively to criminal defense. Tyler has served as the Chair of the Criminal Defense Committee for the Kansas Bar Association in addition to serving as President of the Johnson County Bar Foundation.
Scott devotes 100% of his practice to criminal litigation. He is regarded as one of the region's most highly skilled criminal trial lawyers. He has prosecuted and defended over 115 jury trials in State and Federal Courts and is recognized as one of the National Trial lawyers top 100 trial lawyers.
Aggressively Defending Our Clients for Over 60 Years
We Provide a Unique and Specialized Experience for Each Client Facing Criminal Charges
Our Firm Provides a Confidential Free Case Consultations
We Are Accessible to Our Clients and Will Return All Calls the Same Day
Our Team Is Committed to Obtaining the Best Possible Outcome for Our Clients
We Are Former Prosecutors, Armed With Invaluable Insights
“Tyler was able to achieve the near impossible.”
“Scott's legal skills & finesse, courtroom experience, and commitment to this case were critical.”
“Because of you we have our son back with us, in our lives, every day, to touch, hug and converse with.”
“Your professionalism and compassion were outstanding.”
“I think you did a great job of making certain that the jurors kept their eye on the facts.”